First year secondary teachers, congratulations on your first teaching job! There is a lot to do to prepare for the year beyond curriculum stuff. You need to think about the following:
- Will you accept late work? If yes, under what conditions?
- How will you make sure students receive and turn in makeup work?
- How will students turn in assignments?
- How will you organize the papers that you need to grade, enter in the grade-book, file, document, or hand back?
- What are your classroom rules? Consequences for breaking the rules? Rewards for following them? How will you keep track of consequences and rewards?
- How will you deal with cellphones, smartwatches, tablets, etc.?
- How will you manage classroom supplies?
- What about your restroom policy? How will you handle students request to leave the classroom?
- How will you document and track frequent behavior issues or missing/incomplete work?
- How will you keep track of parent contact?
- How will you keep track of RTI you have implemented?
- How will you document accommodations or modifications that you have followed for students receiving such things?
- What is your cheating policy?
- What is your routine for starting class? Will you have a bell ringer activity? What about a routine for ending class? Will you have an exit ticket?
- Create a substitute binder or folder and put together emergency sub plans for times when you are unexpectedly too sick to come in.
I will be blogging about some of these things throughout the summer. Stay tuned!